Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Brackets and Anniversaries




I’m just going to say it. My and Dana’s wedding anniversary is this Saturday, March 20. (Thus, the purple tulips above.) Of all the dates, of all the firsts, of all the obstacles to overcome, this one is looming to be the hardest. And I think it will be the hardest from now until the day I get to join Dane in heaven. March 20 represents so much. It was the most perfect (if anything can be “most perfect”) wedding day that anyone could ever enjoy. It was the culmination (and launching) of an incredible love story (more on that in subsequent posts).

And it was in the middle of March Madness.

But back to March 20. That date rings more true than my own birthday. I developed a warm affinity to that date because it was the day I got to bring into my life the only person I ever really wanted to spend the rest of my life with. There was hardly a day in our marriage that I didn’t think “I can’t believe I got to marry Dana.” Because of all my years of “unrequited love,” Dana jokingly occasionally commented that she hoped I never experienced “buyer’s remorse.” Not a chance. That comment was always followed up with the observation that we have one of the top five loves of all time.

I’m actually going to be in Palm Coast, FL, on March 20…playing in (and speaking at) a golf fund raising event for the National Christian College Athletic Association, a great group of folks. And I’m heading down there with some good friends: Scott, David and David’s son Ethan. So the golf (which is near the beach) will either be a good distraction, or I will cosmically stink at playing.

Back to March Madness.

While I’m not a bracket maniac (though I am a casual enthusiast), I did casually mention on Day 5 of our honeymoon (in Charleston, SC, perfect honeymoon spot) the idea of having some basketball on in the background one evening (this would have been Thursday). As you might expect, this wasn’t entirely understood, and I didn’t press it. Through the years we joked about the parallel between our wedding date and “the brackets” (as Dane referred to the tournament). Dana was never a sports person, but over the past few years began to embrace “the brackets.” In fact, three years ago she and I were our own “group” on the CBS bracket web site. The next year we expanded to include a few family members. I can’t tell you how much fun we had in filling out brackets, especially when rank and records were NOT the primary criteria, but rather mascots and colors. So, as a tribute to Dane, and a nod the “the brackets” we’ll all be seeing for the next few weeks, I give you Dana’s NCAA bracket selection criteria:

A TRIBUTE: DANA'S SELECTION CRITERIA
1. Anything with a rebel mascot (as in the South's Gonna Rise Again) was always a win;
2. Warrior-types beat just about anybody, except of course, rebels.
3. Devils/demons were always losers;
4. After a rebel, any kind of cat was a win;
5. Real-like animals trumped cartoon-like animals (like the Kansas Jayhawk).
6. Birds are usually losers unless it is a bird of prey;
7. The food chain was often employed for animal mascot match ups
8. If a mascot was indeterminate (a Zag??), it usually didn't stand a chance.
9. In case of a draw regarding criteria, it might come down to some sensible reasoning between mascots: A Badger will eat a Buckeye (to my chagrin); or even school colors (her preference).

I will appreciate your thoughts and prayers for this March 20 (and wouldn’t you know, it’s a Saturday). Meanwhile, God continues to be close to the brokenhearted. Psalm 34 rings true.

More soon, and love to all,

Barry

5 comments:

  1. Hi Barry,

    I knew it was around now, but couldn't remember the exact date. I'm so glad you let me know. Thank you for the brackets tribute. I needed some Dana humor/logic and this made me feel like I was hearing her words. I'm glad you'll be on the links this weekend. I hope the weather is sunny for you! Will pray for that.

    Love, Pammie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bear, you will be in my prayers throughout the weekend as you are often anyway. Play well, she'll be watching and it's no fun to root for someone who's stinking up the course.

    Be God's
    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barry,

    How wonderful that you and Dana got married on the first day of Spring, and my birthday. I have so enjoyed your blogs, and I look forward to seeing them in book form. YOur sharing has meant so much to so many. It's rare that you hear a man being so honest and so vulnerable.

    I'm thinking of you.

    Warmly,
    Karen Hamilton (AU)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barry,
    Your and Dana's anniversary is a day after mine and Larry's. We always said great minds think alike. You know, you two inspired us to go back to church...and we have been going faithfully. Larry got me a necklace w/ a cross this year. Makes me think of Dane and her inspiration to get us back to mass. xoxo, Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Barry,

    Your posts are so meaningful to me. We'll have to get together sometime. I just wanted to point out that based on Dana bracket rule #5, she would have been the only one in the country to pick Northern Iowa (Panthers) over the Kansas Jayhawks. Pretty cool. Best to you and thank you for sharing these as you do. Jon Stiles

    ReplyDelete