Friday, January 8, 2010

The First Few Days

I’ve always wondered of those who have lost a husband or wife: "How are those first weird days?" I guess there's a good chance that those of Team Dane and Bear have been wondering the same things. So I thought I’d give you some “look-ins” below to my week. In general, I move from DOING a little, to CRYING a little, to DOING a little, to CRYING a lot. I’m keeping myself busy with the tasks related to these past couple weeks: thank you notes, re-organizing (simply returning the house to normal, not the "big" re-organizing), etc. This past Sunday was my first night to fly solo in the house. It went better than expected. (BTW, Pud took just offense at my using the word “solo.” He’s like “What am I? Chopped liver?” And then he licked his lips at the thought of chopped liver). In fact, Pud has been in whatever room I am in (right now he’s sitting across from me at the dining room table), and has slept tight against me each night.

I am seeing God’s presence in a strange way: it’s uncanny all the special people I’ve met, and have spent some time with in these past few days, who have lost a spouse at a young age—even the Hospice grief counselor! This kind of support is a gift.

And here’s what’s been comforting me these past few days: I feel like I’m exploring yet another aspect of Dana’s and my love, and it caught me by surprise. I am SO GLAD for her. For many reasons. Reasons we may explore over the next weeks. That gladness breaks through at times. I might ask that you pray it breaks through a little more often.

Now to some “look-ins” to my week.

New Adventure Day 1, Monday, Jan. 4
While it’s officially 12 days since Dane went Home for Christmas, I’m considering this the first Monday (and day) of the rest of my life. With arrangements and holidays now behind me, this is the first day I’ve had to step out of my grief world and into a world that’s clicking along as if things are normal. My first “big boy” act was to head to Staples to purchase legal sized folders and holders for the new size of documents that have entered my life. It was kind of strange when the clerk made a near sarcastic comment that “Everybody’s trying to get organized at this time of year.” I knew I could make a precision-guided comment that would keep her from ever again commenting on people’s personal purchases. But I just remained silent and simply stared at the Easy Button on the counter. Of course for me to not even acknowledge a comment (I think I’m addicted to acknowledging comments) is the equivalent of a cussing out. And then I walked out the door and cried.

Thursday: First Snowed-In Night
My mind has been rehearsing many “firsts” that I’ll experience over this year: anniversary, birthdays, etc. But many “firsts” will catch me off guard, like last night, the first night to be snowed in. Dane and I LOVED to get snowed in. Sometimes we might even start the process a couple days early—a pre-emptive snowed in. And yesterday we had a perfect 4-5 inches. But as God would have it, I wasn’t alone. My cousin Carl (affectionately known as “Cousin Carl”) was in Cinci, as he is transitioning to a new job there. So he fought his way through the snow in the late afternoon, we watched the BCS Championship game (felt sorry for Colt McCoy) and Carl crashed here. It was perfect.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Barry - it's your neighbor across the street in the little brick house, Starr. I can't help but notice out my window the goings-on at your place and I have yet to extend my deepest sympathy for the loss of your dear Dane. I knew, from the activity around your house, that Dana had won her battle but had to leave your side. I am so sorry for your bittersweet parting and the grief and mourning you must do to make your way through through the aftermath.

    Please know that you both were shining examples of a couple who epitomized love and respect for each other - who were best friends and comrades in every endeavor - and who included God as an integral part of your relationship - the strongest part of that "three-fold" cord.

    Your post today is so intuitive about the "firsts". I've experienced it myself and somehow, the first time you do each ordinary thing "alone", it seems almost cruel. How can life go on as though things are "normal"? Shouldn't the world come to a stop - at least for a moment - and recognize that this is NOT normal? She is not here - and nothing is the same. Every event, even the snow, reminds you she is gone and still life goes on...

    You are a brave and generous man, Barry. You have a loving support group like no other. And you will still shed a lot of tears. That's ok. Dane is worth those tears and they take the grief from your body in stages. They may seem to never end. But for now, they are your remembrance of her and the life you had together. Treasure them. Embrace them. They will help you find your way in a new world without your beloved.

    I will watch out my window and send you warmth and caring from across the street.

    Keep up your wonderful blog and let God and your friends carry you forward until you can walk again on your own.

    most fondly,
    Starr

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh Starr,
    So good to hear from you...I've been wanting to be in touch. I can't tell you how often we talked of you when we told the story of the rainbow and you showing up at our house with the photos of the rainbow (and note to all who are familiar with our rainbow story, Starr is THAT neighbor---the one who said, "For some reason I was compelled to show you these pictures" as she showed me pictures of the rainbow ending at our house).

    Thank you for your gracious and encouraging words!!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete